Wednesday, August 28

Review: Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner

After raves from my favourite YouTube makeup guru frmheadtotoe, I have been camping at ASOS hoping to snag the Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner in Black. They almost always have Navy Blue or Olive or Brown but Black is a colour that's hard to come by.

Eventually, the day came and I got my hands on it.

Look, it comes in a pretty blue box!
I've always had a preference for pen eyeliners since I have uneven eyes and shaky hands, which makes for terrible skills with eyeliners in general. I can't use liquid eyeliners since the tip is way too soft and thin, which accentuates any shaky lines while I always mess up the flick with gel eyeliners.

Off Eyeko's website:

Our easy-to-apply, liquid eyeliner pen allows you to create thick feline flicks or fine defined lines to accentuate your eyes.  With our unique long-lasting formula featuring key ingredient Sodium Hyaluronate for a gratifying, colour-intense smudge-proof finish.

Off the box, it claims to be a "precise definition", and to "instantly define, line and emphasise". It also claims to be "smudge-proof, fade-proof and above all, foolproof". That's a lot to live up to.

At about S$22, the Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner isn't the cheapest liquid eyeliner around. Compared to drugstore pen eyeliners which you can easily get at a lower price (i.e. Clio Kill Black Pen Liner), I was really hoping that this would be all that and more.


The nub is stiffer than Kiss Me Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner and even the relatively stiff Clio Kill Black Pen Liner. Using just the nub would tug at the eyelids but I discovered that this pen is AMAZING to draw with when you lay it parallel to your eyelids and just glide across using the side of the pen.


I love how intense the pigmentation is, and how precise the nub is as well.


After rubbing vigorously, the words are faded but not smudged!


I do like how I can decide how thin or thick I want the line to be. Having a teensy flick at the end wasn't too difficult since the stiff nub controls really well.


This is a day after I had my hair cut, and it's starting to go askew in all directions. :( I liked it when the stylist helped to blow dry my hair and it was nice and sleek, all curling towards my chin. Now it's just...messy.

Generally, I'm really critical of my selfies because I just don't like certain parts of my face - how my eyes are hooded and not large, how my chin is too long and juts out and how my smile seems a little lopsided.

But here's a rare selca taken with Instagram that I approve and like:


Anyways, we met up with my husband's ex-colleagues whom I love hanging out with, and we all had a drink or two at a pub.

This is how the Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner looked after about 14 hours...


Yep, it's noticeably thicker. I might have thickened the line before heading out after work. ;) Regardless, there was no transfer whatsoever despite my hooded eyes. There was that bit of smudging in the corner of the eyes though, which is common for me.

On the downside, the pen seems like one of those which will dry up pretty quickly (ala NYX Fat Marker) as the cap doesn't click on like Clio Kill Black Pen Liner and Kiss Me Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner, which pushes back the tip and keep it wet. There have been times when the formula isn't enough for me to draw one full line (I draw on eyeliners very carefully so it takes a longer time than most people) and it dries up, so I had to put on the cap and wait for a while before resuming. We'll see how it goes then because if it does dry up quickly, then I may not be getting my S$22 worth.

To summarise, I do love this eyeliner as it has great control, pigmentation and stays on all day! It's definitely going into my daily essentials list.

Rating: 8/10

No comments: